If you’re injured in an accident with a commercial truck, South Dakota law allows you to file a claim against the at-fault trucker’s insurance company for damages:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Do I Need a Lawyer After a Truck Accident?
When deciding whether you need a lawyer to pursue your claim, remember truck accidents are different from car accidents in a few ways. When a car is struck by an 18-wheeler:
- Damage to the car could be major or total
- Injuries to car occupants might be catastrophic
- There could be more than one defendant:
- The trucker
- The truck owner/trucking company
- A parts manufacturer
- A repair service
- Cargo loading personnel
Filing claims against multiple insurance companies can be very difficult without an attorney, especially for someone who’s recently injured and recovering. A truck crash lawyer can increase your chances for a fair settlement by:
- Checking the police report
- Estimating the total cost of medical care
- Putting a monetary value on your pain and suffering
- Interviewing witnesses and checking video camera footage
- Calling in expert witnesses
- Obtaining data from the truck’s “black box” data recorder
- Negotiating with more than one insurance company
- Suing multiple defendants if necessary and fighting for you in court
How Much Will My Lawyer Charge for My Truck Accident Case?
Attorney fees vary from case to case, but most truck accident law firms will give you a free consultation to evaluate your claim and decide whether to represent you. If you choose to retain the firm, it will probably take your case on a contingency fee basis. This means that you and your attorney will agree on a percentage of your settlement to be paid to the firm after your case is won. If you don’t win your case, you pay no attorney fees. If you do win, you’re likely to get a significantly higher award with an attorney than without one, so your legal representation should more than pay for itself.
In addition to normal attorney fees, there could be other costs incurred in the process of pursuing your claim. If you don’t win, you might still owe these fees, so it’s important to establish in your first consultation how and by whom they will be paid.
Have You Been Hurt in a South Dakota Truck Crash? Contact Our Truck Accident Attorneys Today.
You have nothing to lose and quite a bit to gain by consulting an experienced truck accident lawyer right away. Contact us online or call us at 605-306-4100 to schedule a free consultation. You pay no attorney fees until we win your case.