Everyone knows that drunk driving is dangerous, but some motorists choose to take the risk. And when they do, they often cause serious car accidents.
Our Sioux Falls legal team can investigate your crash and hold responsible parties accountable for any injuries they caused. You don’t deserve to suffer the burden of medical expenses and loss of wages because of someone else’s negligence. Contact our car accident lawyers at Northern Plains Justice, LLP today to find out how we can help you.
Questions To Ask A South Dakota Lawyer After A Drunk Driver Has Hit You
If you have been involved in an accident where the other party was drinking, it is important to consult with a South Dakota lawyer to understand your rights and options. Here are some questions you may want to ask:
- Can you explain the relevant laws and regulations in South Dakota regarding accidents involving alcohol?
- How can I prove that the other party was intoxicated at the time of the accident?
- What are the potential legal consequences for the person who hit me while drinking?
- Will the fact that the other driver was drinking affect the outcome of my personal injury claim?
- How can I seek compensation for my medical expenses, property damage, and other losses resulting from the accident?
- What is the typical timeline for resolving a case like mine?
- Are there any deadlines or statutes of limitations I should be aware of?
- Will I need to testify in court, or is it possible to reach a settlement without going to trial?
- Can you estimate the potential value of my case based on the circumstances?
- Are there any factors that could impact the amount of compensation I may receive?
- What role does insurance play in cases like mine, and how can I deal with insurance companies effectively?
- Will I be able to recover punitive damages if the other party was driving under the influence?
- How will hiring a lawyer benefit me in this situation?
Remember, these questions are just a starting point. It’s important to provide your lawyer with all the details and documentation related to the accident so that they can provide you with the most accurate advice tailored to your specific circumstances.
What A South Dakota Injury Lawyer Can Do For You
- Legal Advice: A lawyer can explain your rights and legal options in detail, ensuring you understand the process ahead.
- Gathering Evidence: Your lawyer can help gather crucial evidence to establish the other driver’s intoxication, such as police reports, witness statements, breathalyzer or blood test results, surveillance footage, or any other relevant evidence from the accident scene.
- Insurance Claims: A lawyer can assist you in filing insurance claims with your own insurance company and the at-fault driver’s insurance company. They can handle communication with the insurance companies, ensuring your rights are protected and helping you seek fair compensation.
- Compensation Evaluation: Your lawyer can assess the extent of your damages, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and any other losses resulting from the accident. They can provide an estimate of the potential value of your case based on their experience.
- Negotiations and Settlements: A skilled lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to reach a fair settlement. They will strive to secure the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and losses.
- Legal Representation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, your lawyer can represent you in court and present your case before a judge and jury. They will build a strong legal strategy, gather evidence, interview witnesses, and advocate for your rights during trial.
- Support and Guidance: Dealing with the aftermath of an accident can be overwhelming. A lawyer can provide emotional support, guidance, and reassurance throughout the legal process, ensuring you have someone experienced on your side.
It’s important to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident to protect your rights and to have them start working on your case promptly.