Not every car accident case requires a lawyer. If you’re involved in a fender bender caused by someone else, you might be able to file your own claim for damages with the at-fault driver’s insurance company if:
- The damage to your vehicle is minor.
- You suffered no serious injuries.
- You missed no time from work.
- The insurer does not dispute your claim.
If, on the other hand, your wreck results in significant property damage, serious injuries, and high medical bills that create an expensive claim for the insurer, you’re in a much different position. The process of getting compensation for your damages can become complex and difficult—requiring the knowledge and experience of a car accident attorney.
What Your Lawyer Will Do for You
The claims procedure following a serious accident can be difficult for the average person under any circumstances. If you’re recovering from injuries, in pain, and on medication, getting fair compensation could be difficult for you. Since you’re likely to get a significantly better settlement with an attorney than without one, it only makes sense to let your lawyer take the burden off your shoulders and handle the following steps while you focus on your recovery:
- Conduct a thorough investigation of the accident to gather evidence proving the negligence/liability of the at-fault driver.
- Utilize an expert witness/accident reconstructionist to strengthen the evidence.
- Examine the police report of the wreck for inaccuracies, inconsistencies, or misinformation.
- Obtain your medical records and check them for clarity, detail, and thoroughness before organizing and presenting them convincingly to the defendant’s insurance company.
- Prove the causal connection between your accident and your injuries.
- Communicate with the at-fault driver’s insurer and demand a reasonable settlement to compensate you for your damages.
- Negotiate with the insurance company to get you a fair award.
- Make sure you observe the statute of limitations so as not to lose your opportunity for compensation.
- File a lawsuit and fight for you in court if the defendant refuses to offer a reasonable settlement.
- Negotiate/pay liens or subrogation claims against your settlement once it’s paid.
- Forward the balance of your award to you in a timely manner.
Have You Been Injured in a South Dakota Car Crash?
An experienced car accident lawyer can take the burden off you and seek fair compensation for your damages while you recover. Contact us online or call us at 605-644-5003 to schedule a free consultation. You pay no attorney fees until we win your case.