If you’re injured in an accident caused by a negligent trucker, South Dakota law allows you to file an insurance claim for your damages:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
When doing so, remember there are crucial differences between car and truck wrecks. While a car fender bender might result in minor injuries, low medical bills, and little time off work, a truck crash usually has more serious consequences.
Car Crashes vs. Truck Crashes
The difference in size and weight between a passenger car and a commercial truck means your vehicle damage could be major and your injuries severe, resulting in an expensive claim against the at-fault trucker.
Expensive claims are most often disputed or denied by insurance companies, which are in business to earn profits and will not pay expensive settlements if they can be avoided. If your claim is denied, you have the right to appeal, but you’re most likely to succeed with a truck accident attorney to see you through the appeals process.
Multiple Defendants in a Car or Truck Accident Case
Another reason to hire an attorney specializing in truck accidents is the possibility that multiple parties could be liable for your damages:
- Trucking company
- Truck owner/leasing agency
- Manufacturer/repair service
- Cargo loading personnel
Filing multiple claims and negotiating with multiple parties is very difficult for a victim recovering from injuries. A truck accident attorney can handle your claim(s) for you while you focus on recovery. Furthermore, your legal representation should more than pay for itself because your attorney can get you a better settlement offer by:
- Understanding state/federal laws applying to CDL holders
- Investigating the crash thoroughly
- Organizing medical evidence
- Interviewing witnesses
- Obtaining “black box” data recorder info
- Viewing video footage from nearby cameras
- Evaluating your claim and demanding fair compensation
- Negotiating with/suing multiple defendants
Choosing a Lawyer for Your Truck Accident Claim
Most law firms will offer you a free initial consultation in order to evaluate your case. This is also your chance to ask questions and make sure your attorney:
- Is a truck accident specialist with a winning record in wrecks like yours
- Believes in your claim and knows how to strengthen it
- Can evaluate your pain and suffering to demand a fair award
- Will maintain consistent contact with you and other parties to the claim
- Is prepared to negotiate with multiple defendants and take your case to trial if necessary
Have You Been Hurt in a South Dakota Truck Crash?
An experienced truck accident lawyer can increase your chances of getting fair compensation. Contact us online or call us at 605-644-5003 to schedule a free consultation. You pay no attorney fees until we win your case.