Motorcycles and South Dakota go hand in hand. Per capita, more people here own motorcycles than any other state in the country. Bikers from around the world travel here every August to attend the famous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, but riders who live here know there's more to motorcycling than the annual, week long event. From the Black Hills, Badlands, and Custer State Park in the west to miles of winding roads through the prairies in the east, South Dakota has endless possibilities available to riders throughout most of the year.
Unfortunately, accidents happen to even the best riders. And when they do, the consequences can be serious. Some crashes happen because of mistakes made by riders. But in many cases, most accidents happen because another driver behaved in a reckless or negligent manner. Whatever the cause, our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys can help.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents Our Personal Injury Attorneys Handle
Over the years, our attorneys have handled many different types of cases. Some of the most common ones we regularly deal with include:
- Intersection accidents. Drivers who don't pay attention to their surroundings often crash into motorcyclists stopped at traffic lights or stop signs. Other times, motorcyclists are hit by cars that run red lights or otherwise break the rules of the road.
- Rear-end motorcycle accidents. Rear-end accidents are among the most common crashes we deal with in South Dakota. When these accidents involve motorcyclists, the injuries can be very serious. You might need extensive medical care. You might not be able to work for weeks or even months.
- Drivers changing lanes without looking. Motorcyclists can sustain serious injuries on highways when other vehicles change lanes without warning and run into them. When drivers fail to check their blind spots and don't look in their mirrors, bikers may get pushed off the side of the road or crushed underneath the car that hit them.
- Hit and run accidents. Drivers who flee the scene of a motorcycle accident are committing a serious crime. That's why we take these types of cases seriously. We strongly believe that injury victims who did nothing wrong should not have to suffer because of someone else's reckless behavior. Even if the police cannot find the driver who caused your crash, you still have many legal options available to you.
- Fatal motorcycle accidents. If a loved one died in a motorcycle accident, we want to help your family through this difficult time. We understand you need time to grieve. We can handle all the paperwork, thoroughly investigate the crash, deal directly with insurance companies on your behalf, and go to court if necessary.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The work we do on behalf of injury victims varies from case to case. That's because motorcycle accidents happen for many different reasons. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle crashes we're familiar with include:
- Speeding drivers. When people drive too fast, they have even less time to slow down to avoid an accident. And when those speeding drivers crash into motorcyclists, the consequences are often severe. That's because the impact of an accident involving a speeding driver is so much greater. And in the case of motorcyclists, they have less protection than occupants of cars, trucks, or other vehicles.
- Distracted drivers. Far too many drivers seem more focused on their phones or other electronic devices instead of the road in front of them. If a texting driver crashed into your bike, we would try to obtain the phone records to prove the driver broke the law. (Texting while driving is illegal in South Dakota.) We can also help you if your accident was caused by a driver who was eating while driving, fiddling with the radio, or doing anything else that diverted their attention.
- Left-hand turns. Drivers making left-hand turns often cause accidents involving motorcyclists. Drivers often hit motorcyclists driving straight through an intersection in the opposite direction or while attempting to pass the car. Whatever the circumstances of your accident, we can help you hold the driver accountable.
- Driver didn't check blind spots. Drivers have a responsibility to be aware of everything going on around them and that includes looking for motorcyclists on the road. We will work tirelessly to gather evidence that proves you did nothing wrong so you can receive the compensation you deserve to cover the full cost of your injuries and other losses.
- Drunk drivers. The dangers of drinking and driving have been well-documented. That's why there's no excuse for traffic accidents caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol. If a drunk driver crashed into your motorcycle, you should not have to pay for any accident-related expenses. Many legal options exist depending on the circumstances surrounding your case.
The Value of Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Your motorcycle wreck will likely turn out to be much more complicated than you first suspected. Even though the police are likely to investigate your accident, they don't work for you. The insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid paying you the money you rightfully deserve. If you don't have an attorney on your side, the outcome of your case might not be so clear-cut.
At Northern Plains Justice, we believe negligent drivers should be held responsible for their actions. As your motorcycle accident attorney, we will do everything we can to get you compensation for your losses and move your case forward.
Contact Experienced Sioux Falls Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
Our law firm has a well-earned reputation for having results-driven attorneys who leave no stone unturned. We interview witnesses, consult with accident reconstruction experts, and carefully analyze accident reports that other attorneys often overlook. We move cases forward because we take accidents seriously. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation initial consultation.