Best ways to stay safe this 4th of July
The 4th of July is one of America's most popular holidays. Despite the restrictions caused by COVID-19, many people in the greater Sioux Falls area will travel to celebrate with family and friends. Like all other major holidays, the 4th of July comes with its own risks, particularly car accidents.
4th of July car accident risks to be aware of
If you plan on traveling this 4th of July, these are the driving risks to be aware of:
- Drunk driving: According to ValuePenguin, the 4th of July is the third most dangerous holiday for driving. An average of 307 traffic fatalities occur each year. In addition, drunk driving accounts for 38.5 percent of all 4th of July crashes.
- Traffic congestion: With things going back to somewhat normal in South Dakota, we can expect more drivers to travel. Traffic congestion is generally a problem on 4th of July, as people travel to celebrations. With more cars on the road, drivers are at a greater risk of being involved in crashes.
- Aggressive driving and road rage: With traffic congestion expected to rise on the 4th of July, tempers could flare. Drivers who are in a hurry or frustrated by traffic could behave aggressively or recklessly. This can lead to serious crashes or incidents of road rage.
Safety tips for the 4th of July
Safety and awareness should be a priority when celebrating the 4th of July. To avoid being involved in a crash, here are some tips to consider:
- Intervene with friends or family who intend to drive after having too much to drink.
- If you plan on drinking, leave your keys at home and:
- Designate a sober driver.
- Stay at a friend or family member's house, if possible.
- Summon an Uber or taxi.
- Celebrate within walking distance.
- If you notice anyone driving recklessly or appearing impaired, keep your distance and call the police.
- If you plan on walking, be aware of speeders and drunk drivers, especially when approaching crosswalks.
Contact an attorney if you or a loved one is injured in a crash
The Sioux Falls attorneys at Northern Plains Justice hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July. Should you or a loved one be injured because of the actions of a reckless driver, our attorneys can help you pursue legal damages.
Our legal team can:
- Help you obtain critical evidence to support your claim — crash scene evidence, police report, surveillance camera footage (if available), witness statements and medical documentation.
- Put an accurate value on your claim — medical expenses, lost wages, car damage, property damage and non-economic damages.
- Negotiate with insurance companies for a fair financial settlement — if we can't reach an agreement with the at-fault driver's insurance company, we'll be ready to go to trial.