That’s why injured motorcyclists should seek the legal help of an experienced Sioux Falls motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. At Northern Plains Justice, we understand the dangers motorcyclists face every time they take to the roadways. We’ll leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of justice. Contact us today and find out how we can help you.
Why motorcycle accidents happen at intersections
Intersections can be dangerous places for motorcyclists. That’s why it’s important for motorcyclists and passenger-vehicle drivers to pay attention, look both ways and follow traffic laws. A simple act of negligence can result in a serious injury to a motorcyclist.
Motorcycle accidents at intersections are usually caused by:
- Drivers who try to speed through a red light: It’s very common for motorists to speed up when a traffic light turns yellow. However, once the light turns red, drivers no longer have the right of way. Blowing through a red light can result in a serious broadside accident to a motorcyclist. This can be especially dangerous at 4-way intersections, where other vehicles may be involved.
- Drivers who make negligent left turns: This can happen at 4-way intersections or off side-streets. When a driver makes a left turn without any regard for oncoming traffic, this can result in a broadside accident. In these types of accidents, motorcyclists can be flung into the air and sustain life-threatening injuries.
- Drivers who rear-end motorcyclists: Intersections involving traffic signals or stop signs can be dangerous for motorcyclists, especially when approaching drivers who are distracted or impaired.
- Drivers who are distracted or impaired: Using a handheld device, adjusting an infotainment system, eating or engaging in any other distracting behavior puts motorcyclists at risk. All it takes is for a driver to take his or her eyes off the road for a few seconds to rear-end a motorcyclist or run a red light or stop sign. Drowsy driving and driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol can cause delays in judgment and reaction time. Drivers who are impaired often fail to obey traffic laws or use evasive driving skills to avoid a crash.
We can help you recover
Motorcycle accidents at intersections can often result in severe and life-threatening injuries. These usually include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Spine injuries
- Cuts, bruises and abrasions
- Organ damage
Following an intersection accident, your first and most important course of action should be to seek medical attention. Even if you feel like you can just “walk it off,” an underlying injury could manifest days after the accident. The sooner you seek treatment, the more likely you’ll be able to recover and receive the compensation you deserve.
In a perfect world, you would be able to report your accident and any injuries to the negligent driver’s insurance company and receive compensation. Unfortunately, it’s much more complicated than that. Insurance companies never have your needs in mind. They only care about reducing their own costs and they’ll stop at nothing to reduce or deny your claim.
Don’t risk your claim by speaking to the negligent driver’s insurance company. Let our legal team take care of that so you can focus on recovery. With years of experience and legal knowledge, we know how to gather important facts from the police report, witnesses and your medical evaluation. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies, and if they refuse to pay, we’re prepared to take them to trial.
Contact Northern Plains Justice today for a free consultation, or simply call our Sioux Falls office at 605-306-4100.