Why do hit and run drivers flee the scene after causing a wreck?
Although it is illegal to do so under South Dakota law, some drivers cause accidents and flee the scene without stopping to call the police or to help obtain medical care for the victims. This can make obtaining the compensation that is deserved challenging for the victims since they must have the contact information for the negligent driver to file a claim. Why do drivers engage in this irresponsible and criminal behavior?
Why Do Negligent Drivers Flee the Scene of the Accident?
Hit and run drivers come from all cross sections of society and income levels. They can be students, stay-at-home moms, bankers, doctors, business people, criminals, and much more. Their main objective is trying not to get caught. Drivers do this for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- The driver is intoxicated either due to alcohol or drug use.
- The driver has no minimum automobile liability insurance as required under South Dakota law.
- The driver is driving a vehicle without permission or stole it.
- The driver does not have a valid driver's license, or it has been suspended.
- The driver is driving an employer-owned vehicle and does not want his employer to know that he got into a crash.
- The driver has an outstanding warrant for his arrest for unpaid tickets or crimes.
- The driver is in this country illegally.
- The driver is transporting some type of illegal goods or drugs.
While some of the reasons that drivers flee the scene suggest that they would not have the means to pay the compensation you may be owed, you should not assume that you cannot locate the driver or that you will not receive any compensation. A concerned witness may remember enough identifying information-such as a partial or complete license plate number-that the police or an experienced attorney can use to help locate the driver and hold him accountable for his actions.
If you were injured in a hit and run or other accident, the experienced auto accident attorneys at Zimmer Duncan & Cole are here to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Start an online chat to schedule your free consultation to get your questions answered and learn about your legal options.