Motorcycle accidents are different from other vehicle accidents in ways that might not be obvious unless you’re involved in a bike crash. If you are in a wreck caused by another motorist, you may file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurer for your damages: medical expenses, property damage, lost income, and pain and suffering. Due to the special nature of motorcycle accident cases, however, you might require the services of a lawyer to help you seek a fair settlement.
What Is Biker Bias?
“Biker bias” is a prejudiced assumption that you’re responsible for your own accident because all motorcyclists are reckless outlaws who disregard traffic laws and safety precautions. This is a myth that is not supported by statistics. In fact, most accidents involving a bike and a larger vehicle are caused by the larger vehicle, so it’s more likely than not that you were the victim of a negligent motorist. Nonetheless, you might have to overcome biker bias on the part of insurance company lawyers and adjusters, as well as the courts, in the process of pursuing your claim.
Typical Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Injuries commonly sustained in bike wrecks, such as the following, are apt to be catastrophic:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and burns
- Neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Such injuries can lead to high medical bills and an expensive insurance claim, which the insurance company is likely to dispute in order to save money for the company. You might be accused of partial responsibility for your accident and offered an unfairly low settlement by a biased insurer. This is another reason to have an experienced lawyer in your corner when it’s time to negotiate your award.
Choosing a Motorcycle Crash Lawyer
In order to overcome biker bias and negotiate a fair settlement, you need an attorney who is:
- An experienced motorcycle accident specialist with a good track record and courtroom experience
- Licensed to practice in South Dakota, where you had your accident, even if you live in another state
- Familiar with South Dakota’s motorcycle laws and comparative negligence rules
- Able to help you overcome biker bias and show that you’re a responsible rider injured by a negligent driver
- Available for a free first consultation to evaluate your case and decide whether to accept it
- Willing to represent you on a contingency-fee basis, so you pay no attorney fees until your case is won
Have You Been Injured in a South Dakota Motorcycle Accident?
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can help you file your insurance claim or a lawsuit if necessary. Contact us online or call us at 605-306-4100 to schedule a free consultation. You pay no attorney fees until we win your case.