A common injury that can result from a motorcycle crash is a broken rib or broken multiple ribs. This type of injury can happen when the biker takes impact to the mid-section of their body during a collision or if they are thrown off their motorcycle. Broken rib injuries can be painful and make it difficult to do daily activities, such as going to work. You can find out more about broken rib injuries from our South Dakota motorcycle attorneys.
South Dakota Motorcycle Accident Broken Rib Injuries
A rib injury may not seem serious but could result in life-threatening internal injuries. A broken rib injury may not be diagnosed through just a physical exam but may need imaging tests to determine if a rib or ribs are fractured.
The following symptoms are common with a broken rib:
- Pain when breathing in deeply
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the upper body that worsens with coughing or when moving
- Bruising on the back or chest
- Swelling in the area of the chest
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- Having anxiety or feeling restless
The rib cage protects many of a person’s vital organs. If a rib is broken or fractured, it can lead to severe complications that require immediate medical attention, such as:
- Lacerated organs such as the spleen, kidneys, or liver
- Punctured or collapsed lung
- Punctured or torn aorta (the main arterial blood vessel in the body)
Not every motorcycle accident rib injury results in serious complications, but it may still take time to heal and be painful in the process. This can mean you need time off work and cannot do what you did before the accident.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Crash if You Break a Rib
There are several actions to take after breaking a rib in a South Dakota motorcycle crash that can help protect your legal rights and possible recovery. These include:
- Seek immediate medical attention. You may feel sore in the area of your ribs after the motorcycle crash but do not think the injury you sustained is serious. You may not realize that the collision could have caused a broken or fractured rib. Always seek medical attention after an accident for any injury, no matter how minor it may seem at first. Once diagnosed, you will want to follow the treatment plan recommended by your doctor. Failing to do so can be used against you in your case.
- Avoid speaking to insurance adjusters. Soon after the accident, you will be contacted by insurance adjusters who will want to settle your case for as little as possible. Whatever you say could be used against you in your claim, so avoid talking to insurers without first talking to a lawyer.
- Don’t post online. You will want to avoid posting details about your motorcycle accident and broken rib injury on social media sites, as well as posting any other information that can prove you are not as injured as you claim.
- Contact a motorcycle accident attorney. Contacting an attorney as soon as possible can help keep your rights protected throughout your case. An attorney can do many things to help with your motorcycle injury accident claim, such as gathering evidence to support your claim, investigating the details of the accident and who to hold liable, determining the value of your case, negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf, and fighting to get you the full amount of compensation you deserve. If the insurance company does not settle your claim, an attorney can represent you if the case goes to court.
Possible Damages for a Broken Rib Injury
If another party is found liable for the accident and your broken rib injury, you can file a claim against the at-fault party’s insurance company. You may be entitled to compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Rehabilitation costs
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Contact Our South Dakota Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a South Dakota motorcycle accident and suffered broken ribs, contact Northern Plains Justice, LLP for a consultation. To schedule an appointment to discuss your case, contact us online or call our office at 605-644-5003. We charge no fees until we win your case.