At Northern Plains Justice, LLP, we understand the pain and suffering caused by an accident as a result of speeding. Our Sioux Falls car accident attorneys are dedicated to helping injured crash victims seek the justice they deserve. Contact us today so we can discuss your options.
A clear and present danger on Sioux Falls roads
Drivers don’t always have to be impaired or distracted to cause a severe accident. A perfectly alert driver could cause an accident simply by driving over the posted speed limit. Additionally, accidents caused by speeding can be devastating because of the high impact of the crash.
Speeders often cause accidents by:
- Driving too fast for weather conditions, including snow or ice on roads
- Running stop signs and traffic lights
- Failing to slow down during heavy traffic
- Traveling around a curve too fast
- Driving too fast in parking lots, parking garages or other areas with low speed limits
- Failing to stop for pedestrians
Some of the most common types of accidents caused by speeding drivers include:
- Rear-end accidents: Drivers who speed excessively or drive too fast during slippery road conditions may not be able to avoid a crash when traffic slows down.
- Head-on collisions: When approaching a curve in the road, it’s best to drive the posted speed limit. Drivers who travel around curves too fast could lose control and veer into oncoming traffic. While head-on collisions tend to be rare, they are among the most devastating accidents, often resulting in the most severe injuries.
- T-bone and intersection accidents: Speeding, skidding or sliding through a stop sign, traffic light or intersection can cause a T-bone or broadside accident. This occurs when a driver crashes into the side of another vehicle.
- Accidents with pedestrians and bicyclists: Driving above the posted speed limit in busy cities and towns with heavy foot traffic can create a serious hazard to pedestrians. A speeding driver may fail to slow down at a crosswalk, resulting in severe injuries to any parties involved in the crash.
- Rollover accidents: Taking a turn too quickly or driving around a curve at a high speed can result in a vehicle rollover. The gravitational force pulling away from the vehicle can throw off its center of gravity.
- Accidents with stationary objects: Excessive speeding can cause a driver’s vehicle to come in contact with trees, poles, guard rails, buildings and other stationary objects. These accidents are especially common during slippery road conditions.
Our law firm can handle your claim
If you have been involved in an accident caused by speeding, you should take your claim seriously from the start. Exchange insurance information with the other driver, take photos of the crash scene and speak to witnesses if you’re physically able to do so.
Always seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, a thorough medical evaluation could reveal an underlying injury that could cause serious medical complications. Also make sure you obtaining a copy of the police report for your accident. An accurate, detailed report can be crucial to building a strong, legal case after your accident.
If you have been injured in an accident caused by speeding, you should seek the legal advocacy of an experienced Sioux Falls auto accident attorney. The legal team at Northern Plains Justice, LLP can fight to hold the speeding driver accountable for your crash. Don’t worry about dealing with insurance companies. We can handle that. Just focus on recovering from your injuries.
Consult with us for free online, or simply call our Sioux Falls office at 605-306-4100.